e.Digital

Flash-R™ patent portfolio e.Digital's Flash-R™ patent portfolio contains fundamental technology essential to the utilization of flash memory in today's large and growing portable electronic products market.
in response to doni's message

I reviewed the ‘774 patent again, your FWIW post here: (http://agoracom.com/ir/edigital/forums/discussion/topics/496377-fwiw/messages/1584700#message) and this post where you stated two considerations (digital AND analog).

While it’s possible to store analog data into flash memory (through variable voltage), I don’t think this is what was described in ‘774 (or what was intended). Looking at claims 1 & 19 again, they appear to be identical except where I’ve bolded:

1. A record/playback device for use with a removable, interchangeable, flash memory recording medium which enables extended recording comparable with tape cassette dictating equipment, said device comprising:

a housing; a microphone element coupled to the housing and configured to receive and process sound into electrical signals; control circuitry coupled to the microphone element and including signal input circuitry, amplification circuitry, analog-to-digital conversion circuitry,

memory control circuitry, signal output circuitry and control logic circuitry for performing record and playback functional operations with respect to the electrical signals and other regulated components of the record/playback device; said switch means coupled to the control circuitry for selecting the desired functional operations to be performed; a receiving socket electrically coupled to the memory control circuitry and configured for electrical coupling with

a flash memory module which operates as sole memory of the received processed sound electrical signals and is capable of retaining recorded digital information for storage in nonvolatile form; a speaker coupled to the control circuitry for playback of recorded digital information; and a power source coupled to the control circuitry for supplying electrical power to the device.

19. A record/playback device for use with a removable, interchangeable, flash memory recording medium which enables extended recording comparable with tape cassette dictating equipment, said device comprising:

a housing; a microphone element coupled to the housing and configured to receive and process sound into electrical signals; control circuitry coupled to the microphone element and including signal input circuitry, amplification circuitry,

memory control circuitry, signal output circuitry and control logic circuitry for performing record and playback functional operations with respect to the electrical signals and other regulated components of the record/playback device; said switch means coupled to the control circuitry for selecting the desired functional operations to be performed; a receiving socket electrically coupled to the memory control circuitry and configured for electrical coupling with

a recording medium which is capable of retaining recorded digital information for storage;

a flash memory module which operates as sole memory of the received processed sound electrical signals and is capable of retaining recorded digital information for storage in nonvolatile form; a speaker coupled to the control circuitry for playback of recorded digital information; and a power source coupled to the control circuitry for supplying electrical power to the device.

If they meant to include analog storage as a real and viable consideration (and why would they - what would have been the advantage?), the claims (including 19) should have been more descriptive toward that consideration. Nothing in the patent leads me to believe they were talking about making analog recordings, only digitally-stored recordings.

As it is, I would say that claims 1 & 19 were intended to be the same in all respects. The fact that analog-to-digital conversion circuitry appears in 1 but not 19, and that a recording medium which is capable of retaining recorded digital information for storage; appears only in 19 right above "a flash memory module which operates as sole memory of the received processed sound electrical signals and is capable of retaining recorded digital information for storage in nonvolatile form;" seems to me to be an error (and redundant). This is in the same league with "digital support processor", and as such I would say this was not a very carefully worded or reviewed patent.

In any case, I’d guess that DM has determined such issues aren’t clear enough for them to be able to pursue.

- Sinkman

Please login to post a reply
Sinkman
City
Rank
President
Activity Points
Rating
Your Rating
Date Joined
12/15/2004
Social Links