Noront Resources

High-grade Ni-Cu-Pt-Pd-Au-Ag-Rh-Cr-V discoveries in the "Ring of Fire" NI 43-101 Update (March 2011): 11.0 Mt @ 1.78% Ni, 0.98% Cu, 0.99 gpt Pt and 3.41 gpt Pd and 0.20 gpt Au (M&I) / 9.0 Mt @ 1.10% Ni, 1.14% Cu, 1.16 gpt Pt and 3.49 gpt Pd and 0.30 gpt Au (Inf.)
Interesting
over 13 years ago
in response to scarff's message

What about a BBQ? That's a fire.

I agree with Hoov. You can't fast-track when the rules have been broken. Even approving at normal speed indirectly rewards those who don't play within the system.

Government agencies are often ridiculous. Look at BCTS, the provincial timber agency that regulates a lot of reforestation. They were warned repeatedly about a company back in the spring that was forcing planters to work in slave labour conditions, affecting about 57 employees, to the point of the people sleeping like firewood in an enclosed trailer, getting bread for breakfast, working 12-14 hour days in the bush, unsafe drinking water, etc. One employee even died, although that was not directly related to the working conditions, even though it did happen through negligence on the job site. The employees in question were mostly immigrant african-Canadians living in Montreal who barely spoke English. Most have not been paid yet. Numerous government agencies came in and inspected the camp site and found a slew of transgressions. End result, the company got a $3500 fine.

I'm not kidding. It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen in Canadian provincial politics. In a case like this, where a company was breaking the rules, the government needs to find some effective punishment that is appropriate for the situation.

Now I'm not saying that the airstrip situation and this tree planting situation are even remotely close. I'm kind of furious about the tree planting thing, and I am essentially just rolling my eyes at the airstrip problem (although I do very much respect the environmental issue and I regret that our companies are associated with it). But even though the airstrip is a relatively small problem compared to some of the things that have happened in the industry in the past, and regardless of the fact that this indirectly (or directly) affects my investment, there has to be some sort of punishment for running fast and loose.

Off-topic, here's a link to the tree planting thing:

http://www.vancouversun.com/Tree+planters+worked+Khaira+Enterprises+back+compensation/4153063/story.html

PS: The chance of those people getting that $229,000, to split between them at less than $5000 each, is practically negligible. The company has no money, and thus can't pay. Maybe that's why they were only fined $3500. The government knows that they can never collect.

AND YET, the company is bidding again on contracts right now, under a new name, at the same civic address. Ludicrous. Sorry for the off-topic rant everyone, but this has got me really incensed. And you think you have problems in Ontario ...

Please login to post a reply
MarlboroDog
City
Rank
President
Activity Points
Rating
Your Rating
Date Joined
12/13/2007
Social Links
Private Message