Noront Resources

High-grade Ni-Cu-Pt-Pd-Au-Ag-Rh-Cr-V discoveries in the "Ring of Fire" NI 43-101 Update (March 2011): 11.0 Mt @ 1.78% Ni, 0.98% Cu, 0.99 gpt Pt and 3.41 gpt Pd and 0.20 gpt Au (M&I) / 9.0 Mt @ 1.10% Ni, 1.14% Cu, 1.16 gpt Pt and 3.49 gpt Pd and 0.30 gpt Au (Inf.)

Note : I see at least two mines, I see new rails, I see trains

Ring bearer

By Leith Dunick, tbnewswatch.com

• Leith Dunick, tbnewswatch.com
    Christine Kaszycki, Ring of Fire co-ordinator.
91.5 CKPRTune into the Battle of the Sexes at 7:40am Danny and Laura Weekday morningshttp://www.ckpr.com
The Ontario government has looked to within to find its much-anticipated Ring of Fire co-ordinator.

Premier Dalton McGuinty on Thursday announced that Christine Kaszycki, the province’s assistant deputy minister of the mines and minerals division of the Ministry of Northern Development, Mines and Forestry, will take on the position.

McGuinty said he chose Kaszycki for the role because the thinks she can bring a “steady hand” to the job, which will oversee what’s believed to be the world’s largest chromite deposit, negotiating with industry, First Nation communities and government to ensure its prosperity.

“I think it’s going to be very important as we find ways to move forward together,” McGuinty told a lunchtime gathering of the Nortwestern Ontario Municipal Association on Thursday during a brief visit to Thunder Bay.

McGuinty, who spoke little about Kaszycki’s role or what he expects, said the Ring of Fire has created excitement across Ontario.

Chromite, a key ingredient in the production of stainless steel, does not have a North American producer.

That means plenty of opportunity for Northerners, he said.

“I see at least two mines operating in the Ring of Fire. I see new rail lines. I see trains making trips to the Far North that they’re not making today. I see a new processing facility in the new North. I see jobs and opportunities today for communities in the near north. I see jobs and opportunities that don’t exist today for Aboriginal communities. That’s what it means,” McGuinty said.

However, Conservative Randy Hillier, who attended the speech, said he’s not sure the premier is headed in the right direction, and questioned his decision to hire from within to fill the co-ordinator position.

Hillier, the PC critic for Northern Development, Mines and Forestry, said it’s great the province has finally named someone to the position, but he was expecting something else.

“I find it quite interesting that they’ve moved somebody from one desk to another in NDMF and now said this is great, spectacular news,” said Hillier, the MPP who represents Lanark, Frontenac, Lennox and Addington.

“I was expecting to see somebody with a little bit more outside, private-sector experience to be that co-ordinator, to bring in those diverse, private-sector investments into the Ring of Fire. I find this a little bit strange that we would just change seating arrangements."

Hillier said he’d take a wait-and-see approach before passing judgment on Kaszycki.

McGuinty, who will meet with media later this afternoon to answer specifics, also did not indicate where the Ring of Fire co-oridinator will be based.

The Ring of Fire covers about 5,100 square kilometers of pristine wilderness in Northwestern Ontario, about 500 kilometres northwest of Thunder Bay.

Please login to post a reply
Babjak1
City
Oakville
Rank
President
Activity Points
Rating
Your Rating
Date Joined
03/02/2008
Social Links