Noront Resources

High-grade Ni-Cu-Pt-Pd-Au-Ag-Rh-Cr-V discoveries in the "Ring of Fire" NI 43-101 Update (March 2011): 11.0 Mt @ 1.78% Ni, 0.98% Cu, 0.99 gpt Pt and 3.41 gpt Pd and 0.20 gpt Au (M&I) / 9.0 Mt @ 1.10% Ni, 1.14% Cu, 1.16 gpt Pt and 3.49 gpt Pd and 0.30 gpt Au (Inf.)
in response to Fast1959's message

I just want to clarify one point. If you do an in-kind transfer (previously owned securities) into either a TFSA or RRSP account, it's considered to be a deemed disposition. If there is a capital gain, it is taxable, and you have to report it. In contrast, any capital losses cannot be reported. You lose them, so you have to take that into account. If you want to hold a security in your TFSA that would produce a capital loss if transferred in kind, the only way to capture that loss is to sell the security, wait the requisite 30 days, transfer the cash into the TFSA, and buy that security again.

I've also heard some talk of a possibility that the government might adjust the investment limits a little bit for baby boomers. Because many RRSP accounts have been seriously impacted by falling valuations, and whatever investment limits anybody had are probably already used up, there is no way to recapitalize those accounts. So, there's been an idea floated around that they might make a retroactive allowance for deposits into TFSAs. That would also level the playing field a little bit with respect to the opportunities available to those in their youth. Instead of 5k/yr, you might get a chance to shelter 100k or something, if you are of a certain age.

Lar

Please login to post a reply
hoov
City
Millbrook ON
Rank
President
Activity Points
Rating
Your Rating
Date Joined
06/14/2008