San Gold Corporation

Welcome to the San Gold HUB on AGORACOM San Gold Corporation - one of Canada's most exciting new gold exploration and mining companies.

Rookie,

I'm not going to do the math here, but the approach that Trey Wasser outlines in this article from 2007 makes sense to me. I'm in SGR because I trust those involved, and because they are a growth story in a sector that will benefit from the macro economic environment. I'm also not a miner, or have any history in the business - 90% of everything I've learned about mining is from the likes of Lunch Meat, Hotmuck, Elementwise, retiredminer, etc. On to Trey:

On my list, I focus only on companies with existing production for 2007 or companies with “fully funded, fully permitted mines” that are on schedule for 2007 production. Then, I put together a very simple model to compare valuations. I calculate enterprise value using fully diluted shares outstanding, plus debt. I subtract “in the money” warrant/option value and cash/liquid investments. I use the company’s projections for 2007 production and NI 43-101 reserves. I only use the reserves from producing (or soon to be producing) mines. I use measured and indicated plus 50% of inferred resources. From this, I calculate the dollar value for an ounce of annual production and an ounce of mineral reserves.

This spreadsheet acts as my first screen. I then look at the individual companies and consider some other important criteria. Production history and cost is a prime consideration. I also evaluate political risk, hedging, by-product credits and management’s development track record. All things being equal, I then consider the “blue sky” of a company’s project pipeline, stock ownership or joint venture partners. I use $3000 per ounce of annual production and $200 per ounce of reserves as fair value ($3000/$200). I try to buy companies below these levels.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/24948-gold-stock-earnings-to-shine-in-2007

Please login to post a reply
rationalnational
City
Rank
Vice President
Activity Points
Rating
Your Rating
Date Joined
10/12/2007
Social Links