Noront Resources

High-grade Ni-Cu-Pt-Pd-Au-Ag-Rh-Cr-V discoveries in the "Ring of Fire" NI 43-101 Update (March 2011): 11.0 Mt @ 1.78% Ni, 0.98% Cu, 0.99 gpt Pt and 3.41 gpt Pd and 0.20 gpt Au (M&I) / 9.0 Mt @ 1.10% Ni, 1.14% Cu, 1.16 gpt Pt and 3.49 gpt Pd and 0.30 gpt Au (Inf.)
Nakina Airport
almost 14 years ago
in response to notster's message

I don't think that they need to go that far.

I am a Canadian Forces member who has flown in and out of CFS Alert (google map it), where we have been flying the CC-130 Herc for years. It is a 5000' dirt (on permafrost) runway. We have also landed the new CC-17 Globemaster there, although turning around on the button of the runway was touchy due to encroaching infrastructure (light standards and a building).

$4 million would be a considerable sum of money for infrastructure upgrades. I don't imagine Nakina plans on wasting this money on hangars and a terminal.

• It is already capable of parking aircraft overnight, which means that they have tarmac space and support equipment.
  • They have 100LL and JetA1 fuel, which are the more common civilian fuel types.
  • The 3500' paved runway is lighted.

Where the money could be spent:

• Navigational aids: The only nav aid at Nakina is a non-directional beacon (NDB), but Geraldton does have distance measuring equipment (DME), which used in conjunction with the NDB can direct a visual flight to Nakina
  • extend runway to 5000', including lighting
  • increase fuel capacity (about 1.5 days worth with current tanks). They are looking at tripling this capacity

There are a couple of places that I gathered this information from, but the easier to read and more interesting one is: http://www.gedc.ca/upload/documents/final-report-jan-29.pdf. Note that this document is a bit older (Jan 2010)

Please login to post a reply
Cylinder
City
Ottawa
Rank
President
Activity Points
Rating
Your Rating
Date Joined
02/28/2008
Social Links