Noront Resources

High-grade Ni-Cu-Pt-Pd-Au-Ag-Rh-Cr-V discoveries in the "Ring of Fire" NI 43-101 Update (March 2011): 11.0 Mt @ 1.78% Ni, 0.98% Cu, 0.99 gpt Pt and 3.41 gpt Pd and 0.20 gpt Au (M&I) / 9.0 Mt @ 1.10% Ni, 1.14% Cu, 1.16 gpt Pt and 3.49 gpt Pd and 0.30 gpt Au (Inf.)
in response to oiramoric's message

This or something similar to this has been posted before. Just to examine what it says:

"None of these massive projects is subject to a full environmental assessment. Instead, staking, exploration and plans to build infrastructure is proceeding apace without any apparent government oversight."

I don't doubt that there will be environmental assessments before the project proceeds. I am sure that staking and exploration have been done in accordance with government regulation. How could they do otherwise? There will be environmental assessments before infrastructure is put in place.

"This is in flagrant contravention of the Premier’s promise to protect this region; there is no public consultation;"

The Premier may have promised to protect the region but to the best of my knowledge no one has yet seen the exact wording of how that promise will be implemented. I have a problem with believing that it will be implemented in such a way that a multi-billion dollar resource will be left in the ground.

"First Nations communities are not leading the decision making process..."

My impression is that the First Nations are quite involved in the process. Witness NOT and NOT's aboriginal affairs committee. It appears that NOT has a good relationship with the First Nations. I am sure that the First Nations can see the benefit of development in an environmentally sound way. It means jobs and infrastructure including roads, railroads, better housing, medical care, community centres, etc. The people of the north want development IMO and there could be some disgruntlement over rule from Toronto if development is stifled in the north.

"....and there is no acknowledgment of the ecological importance of this remarkable region."

I beg to differ. Environmental assessments will be done. Perhaps as NOT has said underground mining is the way to go. I do not want to belittle any envirommental problem but remember that this is a vast region and remember that environmental assessments will be done. On the whole I think that those people putting out this stuff are as the expression goes "blowing smoke".

All IMHO.

Please login to post a reply
Zooloo
City
Rank
President
Activity Points
Rating
Your Rating
Date Joined
11/30/2007
Social Links