Patriot Scientific

Patriot Scientific Reports Profitable Quarter; Q3 FY '08 Net Income $6.3 Million or $0.02 Basic and Diluted Earnings Per Share.
Re: jldmt
over 16 years ago
in response to milestone's message

"Will chip manufacurers have to be revisited so that patent holders are able to collect full and fair value for original licenses granted on the basis of downstream royalty collection?"

You raise an interesting legal/contractual question. As all have heard me spout, a contract (license) is only valid based on agreed INTENT. If our licenses with chip manufacturers included language simto LG's language in the licenses, then it seems to me the agreed intent can't be met. Thus those licenses (e.g., Intel and AMD) may be possible to be "revisited" since it is possible that those licenses are no longer valid.

Do they contain such language? Based on the warnings to sub-tier users by higher-tier manufacturers (like Fujitsu, I believe, where they state that users of their product should coordinate with TPL for a license), it would certainly seem so.

The saga continues.

Is anyone really all that surprised by this Quanta/LG outcome? To me, the only surprise is that language was placed in the license to Intel to avoid this concern, and that language is apparently (and not too surprisingly) useless. IMO, there's going to be a lot of renegotiation of licenses going on (not just us, but all patent holders who have licensed to any base/1st tier manufacturer of anything).

Your thoughts?

SGE

Please login to post a reply
SGE1
City
Santa Ynez, CA
Rank
President
Activity Points
Rating
Your Rating
Date Joined