e.Digital

Flash-R™ patent portfolio e.Digital's Flash-R™ patent portfolio contains fundamental technology essential to the utilization of flash memory in today's large and growing portable electronic products market.
in response to doni's message

"The Court will therefore adopt a modified version of both parties’ proposed constructions, as follows:“an arrangement of persons and/or operations in a series of ordered levels.” / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / Case 3:14-cv-04922-JST Document 78 Filed 11/30/15 Page 7 of 13 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 United States District Court Northern District of California ."

BRI=Broadest Reasonable Interpretation

I believe that's what we got from the Claims Construction—a broad and reasonable interpretation. Interestingly, Dropcam argued for a narrower interpretaion that would have applied the patent only in much more limited circumstances while EDIG argued for the broader meaning of social template which would allow it to be more widely applicable. Perhaps Edig's proposed construction was unreasonably broad, and Dropcam's unreasonably narrow. In any case, the judge seems to have come down in the middle with a construction that gives each party some but not all of what they wanted.

Will this satisfy the PTAB? I don't know, but am hopeful. A broader construction would make the claim more widely applicable, but could make it more vulnerable to Prior Art considerations. And a broader reading might be appealed as "unreasonable" for the very reasons such a reading was rejected in our Claims Construction.

In any case, I remain hopeful.

Please login to post a reply
cguilfor
City
Rank
Vice President
Activity Points
Rating
Your Rating
Date Joined
11/17/2007
Social Links