e.Digital

Flash-R™ patent portfolio e.Digital's Flash-R™ patent portfolio contains fundamental technology essential to the utilization of flash memory in today's large and growing portable electronic products market.
in response to geltaforce's message
"10 Defendants have relied on events in the prior litigation in Texas between e.Digital and
other defendants.the defendants in that case contended that flash memory should
be construed as “a memory that holds its contents without the need for ongoing power support,”
i.e., non-volatile memory."
In apparent reliance on the view that the prosecuting attorney
acted as his own lexicographer, Defendants’ expert has opined that “the Applicants expressly
defined the ‘flash memory’ of the claimed devices as ‘main memory’ of the system during the
prosecution of the ‘774 and ‘737 patents, i.e. as a functional replacement for what would
otherwise conventionally comprise RAM.” (Exh. 7 (Mihran Report) at ¶ 47). Needless to say,
there is a fundamental tension in flip-flopping from a position that the limitation “flash memory”
is so clear it does not need to be construed to a position that “flash memory” has been expressly
defined in a manner contrary to anyone’s understanding of “flash memory” in 1993, particularly
to a person of ordinary skill in the art.
The record in this case, as well as the prosecution history itself, confirms that the
Applicant did not make any such clear and unmistakable disclaimer.
Indeed, Defendants’ effort
to read this requirement into the claims is at odds with multiple sources of intrinsic and extrinsic
evidence that should be considered.
10 Defendants have relied on events in the prior litigation in Texas between e.Digital and
other defendants.
(See e.g., Exhibit 1 to Proposed Scheduling Order (D.I. 250-1, Joint Claim
Construction Chart from Texas litigation referenced by Defendants in Proposed Scheduling
Order (D.I. 240)) at pp. 14-15)). Although the Court never decided any claim construction issues
in that case, it is noteworthy that the defendants in that case contended that flash memory should
be construed as “a memory that holds its contents without the need for ongoing power support,”
i.e., non-volatile memory. (Id.). In other words, those defendants also did not perceive the
Applicant’s statements as a clear and unmistakable disclaimer
Please login to post a reply
sman998
City
ORANGE , CALIFORNIA
Rank
President
Activity Points
Rating
Your Rating
Date Joined
12/02/2006