POET Technologies Inc.

in response to sulasailor's message

Sulasailor: One has to ask what sort of detector they have in mind for the wind problem that might well benefit from the POET detectors frequency range? Is this what the LUXMUX partnership is all about do you think?

I have no idea on the specifics of the wind problem. Anyway, there's no "one detector fits it all" solution anyway.

The BeST-SLED is a good example for what the POET detector is not good for. The BeST-SLED has to be able to detect light over a broad spectral range, i.e. many different colors. And if you look at the Hamamatsu G12180-110A specs, you'll note that its spectral response range is from 900 nm to 2070 nm with the highest sensitivity at 1950 nm and a responsitivity of 1.2 A/W.

The POET detector on the other hand is tuned to detect a very specific wavelength only – POET mentioned 850 nm –, but at this specific wavelength the detector has an extremely high sensitivity of 13 A/W.

So it depends on your specific needs which detector you'd buy. And since wind fluctuations are likely happening over a continuum, I think you'd rather need InP detectors from Hamamatsu – or from DenseLight's PD series, if a smaller sensitivity range and a lower sensitivity is enough for you.

That said, I think a future application could be an array of many integrated POET detectors, each one tuned to a different wavelenght and with overlapping and perhaps somewhat broader sensitivity ranges. Overall that would give you a broad combined sensitivity range and a high sensitivity at the same time.

Please login to post a reply
Rainer
City
Dortmund
Rank
President
Activity Points
Rating
Your Rating
Date Joined
08/13/2014
Social Links