Golden Minerals Company

Welcome To The ECU Silver Mining HUB On AGORACOM Edit this title from the Fast Facts Section

Eric Sprott on Silver: An Attractive Time to Buy

"Is JPMorgan now prepared to pile back on the short side as the tech funds show up to buy once the 50-day moving average in silver is penetrated to the upside?"

¤ Yesterday in Gold and Silver

As has been the case of late, the gold price didn't do much in Far East trading on Thursday...and began to drift gently lower starting shortly before 11:00 a.m. Hong Kong time. By the time the low of the day was in around 11:15 a.m. in London, the gold price was down about twenty bucks from Wednesday's New York close.

But, from that low, a rally began that got sold off a bit the moment that Comex trading started at 8:20 a.m. Eastern time. Then...beginning at 9:30 a.m...the real rally of the day got underway...with gold hitting its high of the day at precisely 2:00 p.m. Eastern time.

From its high, the gold price got sold off a hair into the close of electronic trading at 5:15 p.m. in New York. Gold finished up $20.20 on the day, closing at $1,745.70 spot. Net volume was about 141,000 contracts, almost identical to Wednesday's volume.

Silver's price path was virtually the same as gold's on Thursday. The only significant difference was that there was no sell-off at the opening of Comex trading in New York...and the real rally of the day that got underway at 9:30 a.m. Eastern was just an acceleration of the rally that had started at 11:15 a.m. in London.

Silver closed at $35.09 spot...up $1.72 on the day. And, because of the price action, the net volume in silver was around 41,000 contracts yesterday, up from the 34,000 contracts traded on Wednesday.

Here's the 2-day dollar chart. From it's high just before lunch on Wednesday, to it's absolute low at precisely 2:00 p.m. Eastern time yesterday afternoon, the dollar crashed by a bit more than 180 basis points, or 2.38%. That's a huge move for what is supposed to be the world's reserve currency.

I must admit that I was somewhat underwhelmed by the performance of the gold stocks yesterday. The equity markets gapped up big...and stayed up for the rest of the trading day. However, every rally attempt in the gold shares seemed to bring forth a willing seller. This lasted until about 1:00 p.m. Eastern before a sustained rally began. But then out of the blue a seller came along in the last half-hour of trading and spoiled the party by shaving more than a percent off the HUI, which finished up 2.04% on the day.

I have my suspicions about this, but I'll leave them unsaid.

With silver up more than five percent on Thursday, one would have expected that the silver stocks would have been roaring to the upside. Well, that wasn't the case at all, but they would have done better overall if they hadn't got sold off along with the gold stocks late in the day.

I suppose it may have had something to do with the news out of Argentina yesterday...but that certainly wouldn't have affected that many stocks. But, despite that fact, Nick Laird's Silver Sentiment Index was up a chunky 4.21%.

(Click on image to enlarge)

It as a pretty quiet Daily Delivery Report from the CME yesterday, as they reported only 3 gold and 6 silver contracts were posted for delivery on Monday. There will be one more delivery report for October...and that should come late this evening, along with First Day Notice into the November delivery month...which is Monday, October 31st. I'll report on all this in my Saturday column.

Despite the price increases in both gold and silver on Wednesday and Thursday, there was actually a small withdrawal of 19,459 troy ounces of gold from GLD yesterday...and no changes at all were reported in SLV on either day. And just as a note of interest regarding SLV...since October 7th there have been five straight withdrawals totaling 8.7 million ounces. Not one ounce has been added since this current silver price rally began on October 20th. Since October 7th, the silver price is up $4.50 the ounce...and since October 20th, the silver price is up a bit more that five bucks. Very curious.

When I spoke with Ted Butler yesterday, he mentioned that fact that this current 1-week old silver rally may involve short covering by the big bullion banks...and the possibility exists that there's a short-covering rally going on in SLV shares as well, as 'da boyz' are short that ETF to the tune of 20 million ounces.

We'll find out in the fullness of time, but from what I see, the situation is worth keeping an eye on. Today's Commitment of Traders Report will, hopefully, shed some light on this. Unfortunately Thursday's action won't be part of it...and I suspect that some of Tuesday's big silver price action won't be in this report, either.

The U.S. Mint had no sales report yesterday.

There was a fair amount of in-and-out activity at the Comex-approved depositories on Wednesday. They reported receiving 532,431 ounces of silver...and shipped 658,755 troy ounces out the door, for a net decline of 126,324 ounces. Most of the big activity was over at Brink's, Inc...and the link to all the action is here.

Here's the 6-month HUI chart that Scott Pluschau sent me yesterday...and here are his comments that went with it..."Let's see how this pattern on the HUI works out from a traditional technical analysis standpoint. A new 52-week low in early October was followed by a re-test, but could not follow through, and the classic "double bottom" pattern formed when the neckline across the top of the middle peak in the 'W' was broken and closed above. This is a very bullish sign."

I agree that it is, but like I've said before, JPMorgan et al can paint any chart pattern they want, both bullish and bearish. It's possible it could 'fail' here, so we'll just have to wait it out.

Here's the 5, 10 and 30-year U.S. bond yield chart courtesy of Nick Laird. Notice how the Fed's "Operation Twist" has had the exact opposite effect intended. Yields are now rising along the entire yield curve. I have a must read zerohedge.com story about that posted a little further down.

Here's a chart that was making the rounds amongst the editors over at Casey Research yesterday...and the 'click to enlarge' feature will be very helpful here. You'll note the one percent allocation to gold. BIG GOLD editor, Jeff Clark, pointed out that at the height of the gold mania in 1981, that percentage was 26%...and at the height of the depression, it was 20%. So we've got a long way to go before this bull market it gold breaths its last. I thank Casey Research's own Alex Daley for digging this up.

¤ Critical Reads

Subscribe

Foreigners Sell Second Largest Amount Of US Bonds Ever In Past Week

Two weeks ago when we reported that there had been a record consecutive week dump of US Treasury paper in the Fed's custodial account, as reported by the weekly H.4.1, we made the assumption that this was China preemptively selling US paper. Well, that may or may not have been the case, but it was only part of the full story. We have now learned that Europe, and especially Germany has been just an active seller of sovereign bonds, most certainly including US paper, in recent weeks.

I would suspect that this would be the main reason why U.S. bond yields are rising across the curve. This zerohedge.com story was sent to me by reader Roy Stephens...and the link is here.

Europe’s Punishment Union

Very quickly, there has been much loose talk about EU fiscal union. What was agreed at 4AM this morning is nothing of the sort.

As the statement says, EMU’s leaders have learned the lesson of a decade of self-delusion. "Today no government can afford to underestimate the possible impact of public debts or housing bubbles in another eurozone country on its own economy."

But none of this is fiscal union. There is no joint bond issuance, no move to an EU treasury, no joint budgets with shared taxation and spending, no debt pooling, and no system of permanent fiscal transfers. Nor can there be without breaching a specific prohibition by Germany's top court, a prohibition that could be overcome only by changing the Grundgesetz and holding a referendum.

EMU break-up is Verboten, fiscal union is Verboten, full mobilization of the ECB – either to lift the South off the reefs through reflation, or to back-stop the system as a lender-of-last resort – is Verboten. Germany will have none of it.

Please tell me what exactly has been solved.

The Telegraph's Ambrose Evans-Pritchard is up on his high horse in this blog. It's well worth the read...and is another Roy Stephens offering. The link is here.

No details, flimsy numbers: Varoufakis

Economist Professor Yanis Varoufakis, from Athens University, says Europe's recovery plan does not resemble reality...but the markets are happy because the politicians have created such low expectations any action is cheered.

This 11:30 minute video interview [plus transcript] was conducted by Tony Jones from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation early yesterday...and the good professor picked the EU carcass clean.

"The numbers that I saw were flimsy. They were not founded on anything that resembles the reality on the ground in the social economy of the eurozone, of Greece, of Germany, of any of the countries, or the banks for that matter.

"At around four o'clock in the morning they hadn't reached any serious agreement, so they decided to give George Orwell his latest triumph by describing their failure to agree, their impasse, as a success, as a triumph of convergence. And they're hoping, I think, that in the next few weeks, probably months, something of a rational plan will emerge magically out of that mess that they found themselves in overnight.

Not too many shades of grey in his comments. I thank Australian reader Wesley Legrand for sharing this abc.net.au interview with us. It's well worth watching...or reading...and the link is here.

Europe's rescue euphoria threatened as Portugal enters 'Grecian vortex'

Monetary contraction in Portugal has intensified at an alarming pace and is mimicking the pattern seen in Greece before its economy spiralled out of control, raising concerns that the EU summit deal may soon washed over by fast-moving events.

Data released by the European Central Bank show that real M1 deposits in Portugal have fallen at an annualised rate of 21pc over the past six months, buckling violently in September.

"Portugal appears to have entered a Grecian vortex and monetary trends have deteriorated sharply in Spain, with a decline of 8.4pc," said Simon Ward, from Henderson Global Investors. Mr. Ward said the ECB must cut interest rates "immediately" and launch a full-scale blitz of quantitative easing of up to 10pc of eurozone GDP.

The M1 data - cash and current accounts - is watched by experts as a leading indicator for the economy six months to a year ahead. It has been an accurate warning signal for each stage of the crisis since 2007.

Ambrose was a busy boy yesterday. This was his second column on Thursday. This one was posted over at The Telegraph late last night. Once again I thank Roy Stephens for bringing this must read story to our attention...and the link is here.

The truth no one wants to admit: European solidarity is ebbing away

The thing to understand about the highest-level diplomatic negotiations is this.

Basically, there is the bloke in the bar anywhere in the world, railing against the iniquity of what foreigners get up to: “Can you believe what those Germans/Frenchies/Americans/Arabs/Brits/Jews are doing now?! They’re trying to cheat us! Do they think we’re thick, or wot? Innit!” Then above him (sorry, ladies, it’s usually a him) is a vast, unpleasant fog created by supercilious on-the-one-hand-on-the-other-hand people like me. Officials, technocrats, state-funded busybodies and experts droning on in high acronymic about Targets, Priorities, Road-maps, Objectives, Strategies, Policies and the rest of it.

When you break through that impenetrable, noxious layer of process, you suddenly get to clear blue sky where meetings of world leaders take place. And the impressive thing is that these leaders resemble the bloke in the pub. The language is (usually) not quite as blunt. But the thoughts and messages are.

This is an incredible new item...and when you see who the author is, you'll understand why. Throw this on your absolute must read list as well, as it's an eye-opener. This is Roy's last offering of the day...and I thank him once again for sharing it with us. It was posted over at The Telegraph yesterday...and the link is here.

Confessions of a Gold Scammer

A federal judge next month will sentence the man who authorities say took advantage of the booming gold market, by scamming more than 1,400 people out of tens of millions of dollars.

But before he goes to prison, the mastermind of the scheme, Jamie Campany, sat down with ABC News' Chief Investigative Correspondent Brian Ross to reveal how he tricked his hundreds of victims out of nearly $30 million.

The most promising victims of the gold scam, Campany said, were spotted through Google earth satellite images. Campany and his team matched phone leads to addresses to find victims with the biggest homes, and therefore the most money to invest in gold and silver.

But in reality, there was no gold despite the legitimate-looking transaction papers from the Global Bullion Exchange -- a company that Campany said was "completely bogus."

There's some text...along with a 3:04 video clip...and it's well worth your time. I thank reader Craig Eubanks for sending me this story that was posted over at gma.yahoo.com website...and the link is here.

Risk Management 101 - Why Wall Street Needs To Wake Up & Tell Its Clients To Own Physical Gold

If gold moves from $1600 to $800 investors would lose 5% of their current net worth [if they had invested 10% of their portfolio in gold], but that will mean that something wonderful has happened in the world. Under such a scenario it is likely conservative to believe that the 90% of one's wealth not invested in gold would probably appreciate by at least 25% from today's levels. Using that potential framework, the net portfolio will have appreciated in value by 20% despite gold's theoretical 50% haircut.

The linear thinking in this very short [but very excellent] article is impossible to refute. As the title says it's "Risk Management 101" at its finest. I thank Paoli, Pennsylvania reader D.M. for sending this along...and the link is here.

The BullionBuzz eNewsletter for October 25, 2011 - Bullion Management Group

Here's another very short piece that deserves your undivided attention. There's an excellent quote, followed by an even more excellent graph...and a James Grant video interview entitled "Inflation Will Hit Suddenly".

I thank reader Eleanor Coats for sharing this blog which is posted over at the bmgbullion.com website...and the link is here.

This is what will move gold and silver higher: Greg Weldon tells King World News

In gold what looks healthy is the fact that you didn’t even reach the 38% retracement level on the downside move. The decline, while large in dollar terms, did not even take you back to the first of the Fibonacci levels relative to the bull move dating back to 2009. To me that is a sign of inherent strength.

Also the fact that gold held some of these critical moving averages, from a technical perspective this is fairly resilient action. Momentum is pretty strong and there is a lot of dry gun powder on the sidelines, so we will most likely see continued upside action.

Eric King sent me this KWN blog yesterday...and the link is here.

Argentina Takes a Turn for the Worse: Louis James, Casey Research

On Wednesday - just two days after our modern-day Evita got re-elected president of Argentina - Christina Fernandez Kirchner's government announced a change in rules for mineral exporters; they will be required to repatriate all sales revenue to Argentina. Apparently certain unpatriotic exporters didn't want to bring cash from abroad back home and convert them to rapidly inflating Argentinean pesos - how strange.

Prominent Argentina plays promptly sold off. Many investors evidently concluded that Canadian mining companies operating in Argentina would not be able to get any cash out of the country to the benefit of shareholders. According to our legal contacts in Argentina, however, this view is incorrect.

This must read piece by International Speculator editor, Louis James, was posted in yesterday's edition of Casey's Daily Dispatch...and the link is here.

Venezuela scrambles to bring $11 billion worth of gold home

In a widely criticised move by Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez to repatriate all of its $11 billion worth of gold held abroad, the country's central bank currently awaits the arrival of some 17,000 gold bars from banks in the West.

This Reuters piece was filed from Caracas yesterday...and is posted over at the mineweb.com website. It's certainly well worth the read...and I thank reader Steven Green for sending it along. The link is here.

China's gold frenzy gives birth to small bourses

Twenty-four-year-old Xin Wenting stays up until one o'clock on most days, looking after her gold investment during the ebb and flow of global trade.

Many small investors in China have turned to gold as high inflation threatens to erode wealth in the world's second-largest economy, leading to small gold exchanges springing up all over the country.

The influx of retail investors promises to not only boost Chinese gold demand, but also increase its volatility.

This Reuters item was filed from Singapore on Wednesday...and I thank Hong Kong reader Peter Wynn Williams for sending it my way. The link is here.

Eric Sprott on silver: An attractive time to buy

Eric Sprott, CEO of Sprott Asset Management in Toronto, did an interview on October 19th with Jim Puplava that's posted over at the financialsense.com website. The interview runs about 30 minutes...and the link to this absolute must listen interview is here.

¤ The Funnies

Sponsor Advertisement

Prophecy Coal Corp (TSX-V: PCY) is a Mongolian thermal coal producer with over 1.4 billion tonnes of surface minable thermal coal resources. Prophecy’s primary coal assets are the Ulaan Ovoo coal mine and the Chandgana coal property. Ulaan Ovoo has 209 million tonnes of resources and is operational (only the second mine in Mongolia to be commissioned by a Canadian company). The Chandgana coal property has 1.2 billion tonnes of resources and will feed the Chandgana 600 MW mine-mouth power plant, which Prophecy is developing. Prophecy also owns significant equity interests in Canadian nickel and PGM assets through a 45% interest in Prophecy Platinum Corp (TSX-V: NKL) and a 9.8% interest in Victory Nickel Inc (TSX-VI) and an 8% equity interest in a Canadian metallurgical coal exploration company, Compliance Energy Corporation (TSX-V-CEC). Overall, Prophecy’s Mongolian coal assets are strategically located to being a key supplier in meeting Asia’s growing energy needs. Please click here to learn more about Prophecy Coal.

¤ The Wrap

I've heard lots of information from people that are in the coin business that there's almost equal interest in silver as gold in dollar terms. How can the price be 50:1 when the demand is 1:1? That can't carry on. - Eric Sprott, CEO, Sprott Asset Management

Well, it was certainly an interesting day yesterday. I looked at the preliminary open interest numbers...and gold's o.i. actually fell a bit, but silver's o.i. was up huge. What it means is anyone's guess. As I've said many times, the bullion banks are excellent at hiding their tracks with spread trades, or not reporting data in a timely manner.

Although the final o.i. numbers when they're posted on the CME's website later this morning may shed more light on this, I'm not prepared to read anything into them...and we won't know for sure until next Friday's COT report...not the one coming out at 3:30 p.m. Eastern time today.

The final open interest numbers for Wednesday looked pretty good. Too bad they won't be in today's report.

Here's the 6-month gold chart. As you can see, the gold price just closed above the 50-day moving average, which is the point at which the tech fund longs normally begin thinking about sticking their toes back in on the long side.

As I asked out loud further up in this column, will that happen, or will this price pattern 'fail' at this point? Only JPMorgan et al know the answer to that. And if we do continue higher in price from here as the technical funds return to the market on the long side, the question will then become...who will be taking the short side of their long positions? Legitimate short sellers are few and far between...and once they've taken on all the short positions they are prepared to...then the price either explodes to the upside from that point, or JPMorgan et al show up as the short [not-for-profit] sellers of last report. We'll find out soon enough.

Exactly the same question can be asked in silver. JPMorgan has reduced their short positions from around 40,000 contracts down to about 14,000 contracts over the last couple of years. Is JPMorgan now prepared to pile back on the short side as the tech funds show up to buy once the 50-day moving average in silver is penetrated to the upside?

Right now we're a dollar and change below the 50-day moving average in silver. Ted feels [and I agree] the it may be JPMorgan covering short positions that's driving the current rally...and the small commercial longs [Ted Butler's raptors] are selling to them at a profit. All this is being done below the 50-day moving average, because the tech funds will sit on their hands until that moving average is taken out with some authority. Right now the price is still in 'no man's land'...but that may change as early as today. But will the price be allowed to blast through this moving average, or will it 'fail' here? Good question...and we'll find out the answer pretty quick I would think.

Both gold and silver made rally attempts during Far East trading earlier today...and neither rally got very far. As of 5:18 a.m. Eastern time, gold was down about six bucks, but silver was showing some signs of life...and was up about fifty cents. Volumes were nothing out of the ordinary.

I think it's pretty safe to say that we've seen the bottom for silver and gold for quite some time...and perhaps for the year. There's still time to either re-adjust your portfolio...or get fully invested in the continuing major up-leg of this bull market in both silver and gold...and I respectfully suggest that you take a trial subscription to either Casey Research's International Speculator [junior gold and silver exploration companies], or BIG GOLD [large producers], with all our best [and current] recommendations...as well as the archives. A subscription to the International Speculator also includes a free subscription to BIG GOLD as well. And don't forget that our 90-day guarantee of satisfaction is in effect for both publications.

I hope your weekend goes well...and I'll see you here sometime tomorrow.

Please login to post a reply
gwr1
City
Rank
President
Activity Points
Rating
Your Rating
Date Joined
01/06/2008
Social Links
Private Message