Golden Minerals Company

Welcome To The ECU Silver Mining HUB On AGORACOM Edit this title from the Fast Facts Section

Caveat Venditor! - Eric Sprott and Andrew Morris

"The prices of both metals will not be allowed to rise until the U.S. bullion banks are through doing what they're doing to the downside...no matter how world events unfold."

¤ Yesterday in Gold & Silver

Thursday's high price in gold came shortly before 1:00 p.m. Hong Kong time yesterday afternoon while North America slept. From that high, the gold price zig-zagged lower, closing just above the $1,500 mark at the end of electronic trading in New York yesterday afternoon. Volume was just a bit heavier than it was on Wednesday.

The silver price pretty much followed the gold price, with silver's high-water mark occurring at the same moment as gold's. By the end of the New York trading session, silver was down about 75 cents from it's Hong Kong high...and 37 cents from its Wednesday close. Volume was light.

Except for a minor decline early in the Far East trading day, the dollar vacillated around the 74.4 cent mark...and closed Thursday afternoon almost at that price. If you examine the dollar chart and the gold graph, there's not much co-relation that I could see.

The sudden dip in the gold price shortly after the equity markets opened yesterday morning is readily apparent in the gold stock price action...as was the rally that followed it. From the 11:15 a.m. New York high in gold, the gold stocks managed to stay in mostly positive territory for the rest of the time the equity markets were open...even though the gold price faded back to the $1,500 price level. The HUI finished up 0.38%.

It was a similar story with the silver equities as well...as they finished mixed...despite the negative close for the metal itself. Nick Laird's Silver Sentiment Index closed up 0.58%

The CME's Daily Delivery Report was an even bigger surprise than the First Day Notice report on Wednesday. There were 17 gold contracts posted for delivery on Tuesday...but only 10 silver contracts were posted for delivery on the same day. We are two days into a major delivery month for silver...and only 110 contracts in total have been posted for delivery. This sounds like a repeat of what happened in the May delivery month...and don't ask me what it means, as I don't have a clue. The link to this lack of delivery activity is here.

But, having said all that, this is as far away from normal delivery month procedure as you can get....and it's been like that in silver for at least six months now. As silver analyst Ted Butler explained to me years ago, it's the short holders [the issuers] that are the ones that initiate delivery during a delivery month. They must deliver to the long holders [the stoppers] as per the original Comex contracts at the time when they entered into those contracts weeks, months, or even years prior.

Under normal circumstances, the vast majority of the deliveries are issued in the first three or four days of the delivery month...as there is no financial incentive whatsoever for the short holders to wait...and from there, the rest of the delivery month is normally uneventful. This has not been the case in silver for a long time. And, like I said, don't ask me why. Ted doesn't know either...and if he does know, he hasn't let me in on the secret.

There were no reported changes in GLD yesterday, but SLV posted another withdrawal. This time it was a rather chunky 1,413,466 troy ounces, as another 'authorized participant' tendered their shares and took delivery of the metal.

For the month of June, GLD had a net withdrawal of a smallish 80,754 ounces...but it was an entirely different story over at SLV, as 12.9 million ounces were withdrawn and shipped to parts unknown.

Just to make a liar out of me, the U.S. Mint had one more sales report for June yesterday. They sold another 4,000 ounces of gold eagles...along with 1,500 one-ounce 24K gold buffaloes...and another 28,000 silver eagles.

Wednesday was a busy day over at the Comex-approved depositories as 1,309,312 ounces of silver were received. Every single ounce of silver received ended up in the Eligible category...and every single ounce that was shipped out [795,455 troy ounces in total] came out of the Eligible category as well. The net change on the day was an increase of 513,857 ounces. The action is well worth looking at...and the link is here.

¤ Critical Reads

Subscribe

Eric Sprott and Andrew Morris: Let the silver sellers beware

Sprott Asset Management's June edition of Markets at a Glance arrived in my in-box early yesterday morning. Chris Powell sent it out as a GATA dispatch late last night...and did a much better job of writing a preamble to this story than I ever could.

Here's the first paragraph from that report.

"The recent bear raid on silver has left many concerned about the sustainability of its historic run. Silver, being a relatively obscure market for most mainstream commentators, attracted much attention in the ensuing days following the May 1 takedown. Indeed, though the 30% drop in silver occurred over only four days, seemingly all eyes were on silver, with commentators who could’ve cared less about the silver market only a couple of months ago, suddenly tripping all over one another to make the bubble call. Silver bubble 2.0? Hardly. Anyone who has been fortunate to have been invested in silver over the past few years would unfortunately be used to such blatant takedowns. The Chinese don’t call it the "Devil’s Metal" for no good reason. With so much talk these days about the risks of investing in silver, we think that perhaps it may be timely for us to weigh in on the matter. The silver market is riskier than ever, but for reasons the vast majority of pedestrian commentators have failed to grasp."

The link to Chris Powell's introduction...along with the link to this absolute must read six-page Sprott report...is here.

Gold Correction to Bring Pawnbroker Paradise: Rick Rule & Brent Cook

This longish interview is posted over at The Gold Report website. I don't necessarily agree with everything that's said here, but you can run through it and decide for yourself. Rick rule is mostly talking about the junior mining stocks.

I thank Australian reader Wesley Legrand for sending me this story...and the link is here.

Central bank gold sales now seen as evidence of weakness, trader tells WSJ

Here's a subscriber-protected story that was posted in yesterday's edition of The Wall Street Journal that Chris Powell posted in a GATA release.

"There has been a lot of speculation about what Greece will do with its gold, but I am very doubtful that sales will be on the table," a senior trader at a European bank said. "When I speak with central banks, they acknowledge that gold sales make people worry even more. It's like selling the family silver."

This story, which bears the headline "Greece Boosts Its Gold Holdings", is well worth your time...and the link to the GATA release is here.

The World from Berlin: Greek Reforms 'Like Putting a Band-Aid on a Mortal Wound'

"For some time now, Europe has been more of a burden than something that is wanted. Political integration and insights into the meaning and goals of the EU are often limping miles behind economic integration. That distance is constantly growing, and that is extremely dangerous, because eventually the point will be reached where the patience of the European people has been exhausted. That wouldn't necessarily lead to populist revolts, but it would cause the foundations of the EU to crumble. As terribly banal as it may sound, it is crucial that the EU once again become a political project in the classical sense. The EU is in need of a rethink."

The link to the second spiegel.de article is here.

Reckless Fed to Drive Gold North of $10,000, Oil $300: Peter Schiff

Here's a Peter Schiff blog that Eric King sent me yesterday...and the link is here.

Some gold bugs think storm has passed: But not all bugs agree

Here's a marketwatch.com story from yesterday that was sent to me by Florida reader Donna Badach.

When I last wrote on gold, the metal was looking good—but I described gold shares as a “train wreck”, while noting that a number of observers were thinking the gold shares might have lagged too much.

In the past week, it is tempting to say the situation has reversed. Last Wednesday, gold closed at a seven-week high, and the Aden Report was talking of a possible move to $1,600 soon.

Then the roof fell in. By Monday, gold had fallen $58 (3.7%) to close at $1,496.40.

The link to the story is here.

Toronto, London Stock Exchange abort merger plans

As a Canadian, I was ever so happy to see this 3-paragraph Reuters story show up in my in-box late last night. I was not anxious to see our TSE/TSX exchanges end up even deeper in the clutches of the Anglo-American Empire than they already are.

The London and Toronto stock exchanges abandoned plans for a CAN$3.6 billion (2.3 billion pound) merger on Wednesday, as it became clear they would not win enough shareholder support for their trans-Atlantic alliance.

The story was posted over at miningweekly.com...and I thank reader Dave Crofton for sending it along. The link to the rest of the story is here.

Strauss-Kahn Case Seen as in Jeopardy

Golly gee...what a surprise!

The sexual assault case against now-former IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn is on the verge of collapse as investigators have uncovered major holes in the credibility of the housekeeper who charged that he attacked her in his Manhattan hotel suite in May, according to two well-placed law enforcement officials.

Now that he's been surgically removed as head of the IMF...and his successor named...it's OK to let him out of the 'honey trap' that was set for him.

It will be interesting to see what he has to say for himself [if anything] once he's safely back on French soil.

This is a must read story from this morning edition of The New York Times...and I thank Roy Stephens for sending it to me very late last night. The link is here.

U.S. caught China buying more debt than disclosed

Here's a very interesting Reuters story that I found posted in a GATA release yesterday.

The rules of Treasury auctions may not sound like the stuff of high-stakes diplomacy. But a little-noticed 2009 change in how Washington sells its debt sheds new light on America's delicate balancing act with its biggest creditor, China.

When the Treasury Department revamped its rules for participating in government bond auctions two years ago, officials said they were simply modernizing outdated procedures.

The real reason for the change, a Reuters investigation has found, was more serious: The Treasury had concluded that China was buying much more in U.S. government debt than was being disclosed, potentially in violation of auction rules, and it wanted to bring those purchases into the open - all without ruffling feathers in Beijing.

One has to wonder what this is really all about. As I said, this is very interesting [but longish] read...and the link is here.

St. Louis Fed study says QE devalued dollar by 6.5 to 11 percent

Here's another story that I lifted from a GATA release yesterday. The original headline to this story read "St. Louis Fed's Neely: QE Boosted Exports, Economy via Dollar Depreciation"

The Federal Reserve's large-scale asset purchases did not reduce the value of the dollar as much as expected, but reduced it enough to help stimulate the economy by boosting exports, according to a research paper presented Thursday at a St. Louis Federal Reserve Bank conference on quantitative easing.

St. Louis Fed vice president and economist Christopher Neely said the foreign exchange rate effects of quantitative easing shows that large scale asset purchases were "not toothless."

Wasn't little Timmy Geithner saying just a few weeks ago that a strong U.S. dollar was in the nation's best interest? This certainly makes a liar out of tiny Tim. I don't know why the Fed didn't take out a full page ad in The Wall Street Journal...as what they were doing to the dollar by reckless money printing [QE1&2] was known by all. QE3 should take the dollar down another couple of notches when it starts later this year.

The link to the story, which was posted over at the imarketnews.com website, is here.

Reaction to Greek Vote: Relief Abroad, Riots in Athens

I only have two stories about Greece for you today. Both are from the German website spiegel.de...and both are courtesy of Roy Stephens.

Foreign governments have reacted with relief to the Greek parliament's vote in favor of a far-reaching austerity package. But demonstrators in Athens responded to the news with rage amid brutal clashes with police. Prime Minister George Papandreou can expect further resistance to his reforms.

At the moment when the largest austerity package in Greek history was being passed, it was relatively quiet on Athens' Syntagma Square. Demonstrators sat on the ground, their shoulders slumped and heads down, smoking, chatting and drinking water from plastic bottles. They looked resigned, even while their leaders were still calling for an uprising.

Then all hell broke loose.

This is an ugly read...and the link is here.

¤ The Funnies

Sponsor Advertisement

Cornerstone has started drilling its flagship Shyri gold property in Ecuador

Ecuador, one of the world’s most under-explored and resource rich countries, has a brand new mining law that supports international investment. Cornerstone is one of the first companies invited back and has begun drilling the Gama Prospect at our flagship Shyri Gold-Copper Property in southern Ecuador. Together with our joint venture partner Intrepid Mines, we will spend $6.0 million on the property during the next five years. We’re very excited about this project that lies just a few kilometers away from a previously discovered multi-million ounce deposit and has the potential to host a significant gold-copper system. Read more about Shryi and Cornerstone’s entire portfolio of properties.

¤ The Wrap

Gold volume on Thursday was up a bit from Wednesday. Once the roll-overs were removed, the net volume was around 112,000 contracts. The preliminary open interest number showed a decline of 2,164 contracts...which will be a much larger number when the final o.i. figure is posted later this a.m.

Gold's final open interest number for Wednesday got reduced quite a bit from the preliminary number, but still showed an increase of 3,028 contracts. This o.i. increase should be nullified [and then some] when we see the final open interest number for the Thursday trading day.

Silver's net trading volume yesterday was around 37,000 contracts...and the preliminary o.i. number showed a smallish increase of 867 contracts...and will probably show a net decline when the final figure is posted on the CME's website.

The final open interest number for Wednesday's big jump in the silver price showed a decline of 2,255 contracts. Based on that, I would guess that JPMorgan et al were doing some short covering in the Comex futures market...and was the primary cause of the rally. Unfortunately, this data won't be in today's Commitment of Traders report. We'll have to wait until next Friday's report.

Today's COT report will be issued at 3:30 p.m. Eastern time, sharp...and when that time arrives, you can click here. This is another COT report that I'm looking forward to with great interest.

Silver's open interest for the July delivery month is now down to 1,857 contracts, of which only 110 have been delivered so far. This open interest number is likely to decline further during the days ahead...so the July delivery month will probably turn into another non-event, even thought the delivery pattern is as abnormal as it can possibly be.

There's no point in posting any gold or silver charts...as nothing has changed.

The prices of both metals will not be allowed to rise until the U.S. bullion banks are through doing what they're doing to the downside...no matter how world events unfold.

Gold was hovering around the $1,500 the ounce mark until trading began in London this morning. Silver was down about twenty cents...but both metals got sold off even more...and silver is now down almost 50 cents...and gold is down about seven bucks, as of 5:10 a.m. Eastern time. The dollar is basically flat.

Volume is a bit heavier in gold than it was this time yesterday...and silver's volume is getting up there, as I can tell that it's JPMorgan's high frequency traders at work.

With the Fourth of July holiday on Monday, I'm sure that New York trading volumes in just about everything will fall off rapidly once lunchtime approaches. Everyone will want to go home early...and I can't say I blame them, as I'd be doing the same thing.

Today is Canada Day in my country...the American equivalent of July 4th...and even though it's a national holiday here, I'll have my usual Saturday report.

I wish all my American readers a happy Fourth of July holiday weekend.

And unless something extraordinary happens on Planet Earth on Monday, July 4th...I won't have a column on Tuesday.

See you tomorrow.

Please login to post a reply
gwr1
City
Rank
President
Activity Points
Rating
Your Rating
Date Joined
01/06/2008
Social Links