Golden Minerals Company

Welcome To The ECU Silver Mining HUB On AGORACOM Edit this title from the Fast Facts Section

Forget "Blood Diamonds", Here Comes "Conflict Gold"

"Considering that the world's economic, financial and monetary systems are circling the drain at an ever-greater velocity...one would think that the wait shouldn't be much longer."

¤ Yesterday in Gold and Silver

The gold price was down about six dollars by mid-morning in London...and then gained it all back by 9:00 a.m. in New York. The price then spiked up over twelve bucks into the London p.m. gold fix which probably occurred a couple of minutes after 10:00 a.m. Eastern.

The gold price hit its zenith shortly before 11:30 a.m. Eastern...and then basically traded sideways for the rest of the New York trading session. Volume was light.

I must admit that I was happy to see gold put in such a positive showing on a Friday in summer trading.

With the high frequency traders mucking about in the silver futures market, prices were more 'volatile'. Silver's low of the day [down about 65 cents from Thursday's New York close] came shortly before 10:00 a.m. in London.

Then the price rose in fits and starts until 9:30 a.m. in New York. Then, like gold, the price took off and rose about 60 cents into the London p.m. gold fix...which was silver's high of the day. From that high, it got sold off about 40 cents until just before the close of Comex trading when it caught another bid. Then after the Comex close, the price slowly worked its way back almost to its high of the day by the close of electronic trading at 5:15 p.m. Volume [net of roll-overs out of the July delivery month] was very light once again.

The dollar rose about 35 basis points by 9:00 a.m. in London...and then headed south, falling almost 85 basis points to its low around 11:20 a.m. Eastern time...a time which exactly coincided with gold's high tick of the day, right to the minute.

From there, the dollar gained back very little, closing almost on its low of the day...and a whisker under the 75 cent mark.

The HUI made it back above 500 on the early morning spike up in the gold price in New York, but couldn't hold those gains. The HUI closed up 0.52% on the day. Here's the 5-day HUI chart for the week that was.

Silver closed up about a percent...and a lot of the junior silver companies did very well for themselves...but most of the companies that made up Nick Laird's Silver Sentiment Index barely broke even...and the index was up a miniscule 0.22%

The CME's Daily Delivery Report showed that only 49 gold contracts were posted for delivery on Tuesday. JPMorgan was the biggest issuer in its client account [33 contracts]...and they were also the biggest stopper [45 contracts] in their house account.

The GLD ETF showed a big increase of 292,300 ounces of gold...but the SLV ETF had a smallish withdrawal of 438,748 troy ounces.

The U.S. Mint had another sales report. They sold another 3,500 ounces of gold eagles...500 one-ounce 24K gold buffaloes...along with another 93,500 silver eagles. Month-to-date, the mint has sold 35,500 ounces of gold eagles...1,000 one-ounce 24K gold buffaloes...and 1,867,000 silver eagles.

The Comex-approved depositories reported receiving 661,017 ounces of silver on Thursday...and only shipped 993 ounces out the door, for a net increase of 660,024 troy ounces.

The Commitment of Traders Report for silver didn't show much change in silver, as the Commercial net short position only declined by 104 contracts. Nothing to see here, folks.

In gold, there was a decent improvement in the Commercial net short position, as the bullion banks covered 10,255 contracts...or 1.03 million ounces of gold. The Commercial net short position is back down to 23.7 million ounces, which is still quite a bit. This big number is why I'm concerned that JPMorgan et al can still hit the gold price if they wish to do so.

Here's Ted Butler's Days of Production to Cover Short Positions graph for all Comex-traded commodities...and the chart is courtesy of Nick Laird over at sharelynx.com. You'll note that the short position in silver has now been reduced to about the same size as gold's.

I've got a bunch more stories today...plus quite a few that I've been saving...because I just didn't have room for them during the week. I hope you can find the time, as they are all worth reading.

¤ Critical Reads

Subscribe

Echoes Of Lehman: World Awaits Another High-Stakes Weekend

Washington state reader S.A. starts out today's story with this blog from yesterday's edition of The Wall Street Journal.

As European officials meet in Luxembourg Sunday in a two-day bid to halt a spiraling Greek debt crisis, unsettling parallels can be found with a weekend gathering of U.S. officials three years ago.

As is now etched into popular memory, the frantic deal-making at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York on Sept. 14-15, 2008, failed to prevent the troubles of another single borrower, Lehman Brothers, from throwing the entire world’s financial markets into turmoil. Could the same happen again? Might the struggle to save Greece suffer from the same failure of best intentions?

It's not a long read...and the link is here.

'We Need to Find a Solution Quickly': Germany and France Move Closer on Euro Issue

Here's a Roy Stephens offering that was posted over at spiegel.de yesterday.

A deal isn't yet in sight for the next Greek rescue package, but Nicolas Sarkozy and Angela Merkel sought to express unity during a Friday meeting at the Chancellery in Berlin. Both, however, now agree that bank participation should be voluntary.

What this means is that the European taxpayer will pay the shot...and the banks won't lose a nickel. But it's not over 'till it's over...and I'm sure there will be fur flying on this issue for a long time to come. The link is here.

The World from Berlin: 'Nothing to Be Gained in Greece by Playing for Time'

Here's another spiegel.de story from yesterday...this one is from Roy Stephens as well

Greece needs help, but what should that help look like? The question has deeply divided Europe this week, with many concerned about Berlin's demands for private sector involvement. A compromise emerged on Friday, but German editorialists are split over the way forward.

This piece is a little longer than the last one...and the link is here.

Italy’s Bond Ratings May Be Downgraded by Moody’s Amid ‘Growth Challenges’

Italy's credit ratings may be reduced by Moody’s Investors Service because of economic growth challenges, risks associated with efforts to reduce debt and the potential for higher borrowing costs.

The nation’s third-ranked Aa2 local and foreign-currency government bond ratings were placed under review for a possible downgrade, Moody’s said in a statement yesterday.

This is a Bloomberg story from late yesterday afternoon that's courtesy of Washington state reader S.A...and the link is here.

Eric King Interview Nigel Farage

[Eric sent me this interview at 3:38 a.m. Eastern time this morning...and I'm sticking it in here.]

Nigel Farage is a founder member of the UK Independence Party, which was established in September 1993. He is the Member of the European Parliament for the South East region and is the leader of the parliamentary party in the EU parliament.

The central aim of the party is the UK's withdrawal from the European Union and to regain control of this nation's governance through its own Parliament at Westminster.

Nigel can really think on this feet...and his rapier-like wit is met with great discomfort by those on the receiving end at the European Union's parliament.

This audio interview about the woes in Greece and the rest of Europe is well worth your time...and Eric says it's one heck of an interview. The link is here.

"Lehman Moment" - Doug Noland, prudentbear.com

For the second Saturday in a row I'm posting Doug Noland's Friday commentary...which bears the title you've just read. Doug pulls no punches here...and I love it when he's angry!

"Expanding debt impairment is becoming a major problem; there’s no apparent default mechanism that wouldn’t imperil many of the world’s major financial institutions; and the tentacles of this potential crisis reach far out across the global system. “Extend and pretend” is the new normal, as global markets become a politicians and policymaking confidence game. Europe – and the world’s – new “Lehman Moment” commences when the markets question the soundness of the global derivatives marketplace."

I thank reader U.D. for sending this along...and you have to scroll about three quarters of the way down the page to find the heading. I consider this a must read...and the link is here.

Warehouse ownership by Wall Street banks raises market manipulation suspicions

Here's a story from yesterday's edition of The Wall Street Journal that found its way into a GATA release on Friday morning.

Goldman Sachs Group Inc. and other owners of large metals warehouses are being scrutinized by the London Metal Exchange after being accused by users like Coca-Cola Co. of restricting the amount of metal they release to customers, inflating prices.

The board of the LME met on Thursday to discuss complaints from aluminum users and market traders, who say operators of warehouses, which also include J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. and Glencore International PLC, should be forced to allow the metal out more quickly to meet demand.

I'm shocked out of my shoes that two such prominent names would be accused of manipulating commodity prices! You should have figured out by now, dear reader, that these two companies are basically criminal organizations. Matt Taibbi's description of GS as "the great vampire squid with its tentacles wrapped around the face of humanity, sticking its blood-funnel into anything that smells of money" is a pretty apt description of both firms.

The link to this story, which is well worth reading, is here.

Desperate Public Pension Funds Double Bets in Hedge Funds

Public pension funds managing the retirement and health care benefits of teachers and firemen are pouring money into hedge funds, as much as doubling the money they allocate to the industry, in a desperate attempt to bridge the funding gap in their plans.

This story is courtesy of West Virginia reader Elliot Simon...and was posted over at cnbc.com on Thursday...and the link is here.

Thieves stealing catalytic converters in Lakewood, N.J.

Police say a series of catalytic converter thefts at car dealerships on Route 88 may be the work of the same individuals.

Seven automotive businesses along the strip have reported vehicles damaged because someone removed catalytic converters to get money for the platinum inside, according to Detective Capt. Paul Daly, unit commander.

Daly said the thieves are selling the platinum at all-time high market prices, getting as much as $35 to $235 per catalytic converter that is stolen.

The story was posted in the Asbury Park Press yesterday...and I thank Florida reader Donna Badach for sharing it with us. The link is here.

GoldMoney documentary on France's fiat money double debacle

Here's another GATA release where Chris Powell has already wordsmithed the preamble for us. It's a fascinating look at infinite fiat money in the late 1700s...and the link to the two 9-minute long videos, are here.

You’re Not Imagining It — The Gold Miners Are Tanking

With gold near a record, most miners should put up ridiculous earnings in the year ahead, which should make their shares act like tech circa 1998, right?

Nope. The biggest miners, whose shares populate the GDX gold miner ETF, did outperform gold (represented here by the GLD ETF) during most of its recent epic run, just as you’d expect. But in April the two trends diverged, and lately the divergence has become a chasm. Gold is up 22% in the past 12 months and the big miners are, as a group, virtually unchanged.

This is painful and humbling for investors who bet on gold by loading up on mining shares, only to discover that they were right on the macro but wrong on the implementation. But one person’s pain is another’s opportunity, and the market appears to be offering a whopper here.

This is a must read piece [with a most excellent graph] that was posted by John Rubino over at his website dollarcollapse.com...and I thank 'Don in Virginia' for sending it along...and the link is here.

The Ron Paul Stock Portfolio

Members of congress had to release their stock holdings information on Thursday. Have you ever wondered what Ron Paul is invested in? There were no surprises in the list for me, as it's virtually wall-to-wall precious metals.

I thank Olive Branch, Mississippi reader Chuck Demastus for sending this along. It's a posting over at the runronpaul.com website...and the link to this short must read piece is here.

Forget "Blood Diamonds", Here Comes "Conflict Gold"

Reader Phil Barlett provides today's last gold-related story...and it's a posting from over at zerohedge.com yesterday.

In what could be the oddest development in the precious metals market in a long time, the World Gold Council has just unveiled an initiative whose sole purpose if to combat "conflict gold." From the just released notice: "The World Gold Council today announces that, working together with its member companies and the leading gold refiners, it has produced a draft framework of standards designed to combat gold that enables, fuels or finances armed conflict.

It's a longish read, but very interesting...and the link is here.

Doug Casey on the Royal Wedding

Wednesday's edition of Conversations With Casey is a must read, as it's Doug being Doug at the top of his game...and I agree totally with everything that's in here.

"It’s important to call a spade a spade, to say the emperor has no clothes – as in the old fairy tale. It’s maddening and disappointing to see how people are awed by pomp and circumstance. There are estimates that a billion people around the world took time out of their lives to watch two people they don’t know, and have no meaningful connection with, make promises to each other they probably won’t keep. Didn’t they learn anything from the union of jug-eared Charles with dim-witted Diana? Why are royals still put on pedestals? This is the 21st century, for crying out loud. It’s disgusting to see people go all gaga and woozy in the knees because these descendants of gangsters celebrated a perfectly ordinary event at huge public expense. I’d much rather watch the excellent merengue-dancing dog than a dozen royal weddings."

That paragraph contains just about the nicest thing he had to say. Here's the link...and I urge you to read this from one end to the other.

Last Bastion: Saudi Arabia's Silent Battle to Halt History

Saudi Arabia's rulers are doing their utmost to resist the tide of history. The wealthy Arab country wants peace and stability within its society and in the region. But even the ultraconservative kingdom has not remained untouched by the unrest in the Arab world.

This is a 2-page background story on what's simmering under the hood in the number one oil producing country in the world. Reader Roy Stephens sent it to me earlier this week...and it's well worth your time. The link to this spiegel.de essay is here.

Middle East Geography Quiz

Reader U.D. sent me this quiz earlier this week...and I clicked on the link with little enthusiasm. However, I was surprised at what I found...and knew immediately that it would go into today's column.

As U.D. said..."It is amazing how often we speak of these countries and don't really know where they are. Drag the country's name onto the map. There is no humbling score nor time limit; this exercise is a learning tool. Don't fear making an error. Once you finish the puzzle, you will be far more educated about this very intense area of our world. You think you know the countries? Just wait..."

I've been going through this quiz every day...and I've just about got every country's location down pat. I urge you to do the same, so save the link, which is here.

Strauss-Kahn. "Presumption of Innocence". The Establishment Eliminates A Threat

As both Doug Casey, Bill Buckler and a handful of other have said, the arrest of IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn on sexual assault charges, had "Honey Trap" written all over it.

I don't often post anything written by Paul Craig Roberts...but this commentary is right on the money as far as I'm concerned.

It's a posting from May 20th over at globalresearch.ca...and I thank Roy Stephens for sharing this short, must read essay with us. The link is here.

Minsk’s Economic Optimism Rings Hollow in Belarusian Ears

A wave of consumer spending has spread across Belarus since the spring, but it does not augur boom times for the economy. Belarusians are buying precious metals, imported goods, real estate, and above all foreign currency as the ruble continues to lose value and inflation reaches worrying levels.

The fall in the value of the ruble, which began in mid-March, is only one symptom of a chronic illness in the Belarusian economy and perhaps the hardest test yet for the economic model put in place over the past 16 years by the administration of President Alyaksandr Lukashenka.

Casey Research's own Louis James passed this story around to all the editors earlier this week...and it, too, is a must read. If you want to know what the beginnings of hyperinflation look like, this is it. The link is here.

The AKP's Disappointing Victory: Erdogan Falls Short of Goal in Turkish Elections

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has won a third term in Sunday's parliamentary elections in Turkey. But he fell short of his stated goal of a two-thirds majority, which would have allowed him to unilaterally change the constitution. His AKP was hampered by a strong showing by the Kurds and ultra-nationalists.

Winning an election with around 50 percent of the vote certainly sounds like an impressive result. But measured against the expectations that Recep Tayyip Erdogan had fueled in the run-up to Sunday's parliamentary election in Turkey, the victory almost seems like a defeat.

This was posted on Monday over at the spiegel.de website...and is Roy Stephens last offering of the day. The link is here.

Switch Hitter vs. Switch Pitcher Pat Venditte

I just love baseball. It's the only team sport that I enjoy playing...and watching. If you're a baseball fan, this 8:15 video clip is a hoot. I thank reader D. Slezak for sharing this clip which is posted over at shoonsports.com...and has been on that website since January 28th...so it's been around for awhile, but it's the first time I've seen it. The link is here.

The Owl and the Pussycat

Just when you think you've seen everything, along come a video clip that proves you wrong...and this is one those times.

This has nothing to do with the 1871 Edward Lear poem of the same name. It's a video of two best buddies...a barn owl and a black cat. Both are obviously somebody's pets...and what fun they have together!

I thank my dad for sending me this clip earlier in the week...and I'll take this opportunity to wish him a happy Father's Day on Sunday. The clip, posted over at wimp.com, runs for 3:24...and is a must watch! The link is here. Enjoy!

¤ The Funnies

Sponsor Advertisement

The Japanese Nuclear Disaster, Middle Eastern Strife and Stupid Politicians Are Creating Unprecedented Opportunities to Profit in Energy

Right now all this dreadful news is causing extreme market volatility – especially in the energy sector. But it’s also giving smart investors outstanding profit opportunities.

The reason: there’s only so much oil in the ground and we’ve used much of it already. And when mainstream investors reawaken to this fact, select companies that bring alternative sources of energy to market will be poised for outstanding profits.

Now’s the time to prepare for this historic money-making opportunity in energy.

Click Here to Learn More.

¤ The Wrap

Today's 'blast from the past' is just about 400 years old.

Miserere by Italian composer Gregorio Allegri (also called "Miserere mei, Deus" - English "Have mercy on me, O God") is a setting of Psalm 51 (50) composed during the reign of Pope Urban VIII, probably during the 1630s, for use in the Sistine Chapel during matins on Wednesday and Friday of Holy Week. It was the last of twelve falsobordone Miserere settings composed and chanted at the service since 1514...and the most popular. At some point it became forbidden to transcribe the music and it was only allowed to be performed at those particular services, adding to the mystery surrounding it. Writing it down or performing it elsewhere was punishable by excommunication.

In April of 1770, Mozart was summoned to Rome by the Pope...who made the mistake of letting this musical genius into the Sistine Chapel to hear Miserere during the mass. Immediately after mass, Mozart wrote out the whole work from memory...as described by Mozart's father, Leopold, in a letter to his wife from Rome, dated April 14, 1770.

"We arrived here safely on the 11th at noon. I could have been more easily persuaded to return to Salzburg than to proceed to Rome, for we had to travel for five days from Florence to Rome in the most horrible rain and cold wind. I am told here that they have had constant rain for four months and indeed we had a taste of it, as we went on Wednesday and Thursday in fine weather to Saint Peter's and to the Sistine Chapel to hear the Miserere during the mass, and on our way home were surprised by such a frightful downpour that our cloaks have never yet been so drenched as they then were..."

"You have often heard of the famous Miserere in Rome, which is so greatly prized that the performers in the chapel are forbidden on pain of excommunication to take away a single part of it, to copy it or to give it to anyone. But we have it already. Wolfgang has written it down and we would have sent it to Salzburg in this letter, if it were not necessary for us to be there to perform it. But the manner of performance contributes more to its effect than the composition itself. So we shall bring it home with us. Moreover, as it is one of the secrets of Rome, we do not wish to let it fall into other hands, ut non incurramus mediate vel immediate in censuram Ecclesiae."

Reader Stewart Wilcox-Sollof who sent me this particular recording, had this to say about it..."Something sublime, the Willcocks arrangement of Allegri’s Miserere featuring Roy Goodman recorded at Kings College, Cambridge in 1963." This is 'Part 2' of the recording...and the link is here.

Yesterday's gold volume was around 105,000 contracts net of all roll-overs...which isn't overly heavy...but the preliminary open interest number showed an eye-water increase of 14,566 contracts. Hopefully that number will be greatly reduced on Monday. Gold's final open interest number on Thursday showed a decline of 2,643 contracts.

Silver's net volume was under 40,000 contracts for the second day running...and a considerable chunk of the gross volume was roll-overs from the July delivery month and into September and December. I was happy with the preliminary open interest number in silver, as it only showed an increase of 1,262 contracts, which may mean that the final o.i. number will show another decline when it's reported on Monday. Silver's final o.i. number on Thursday showed a smallish decline of 734 contracts, which was wonderful to see.

Here's the 1-year gold chart...and the price keeps chugging along over the 50-day moving average without a hint of a smack-down.

Here's the 1-year silver chart, with the price chugging along under the 50-day moving average. A more bifurcated precious metal market has probably never existed before.

How will all this resolve itself, you ask? Well, considering that the world' economic, financial and monetary system are circling the drain at an ever-greater velocity...one would think that the wait shouldn't be much longer.

There's still time left to either readjust your portfolio...or get fully invested in the continuing major up-leg of this bull market in both silver and gold...and I respectfully suggest that you take a trial subscription to either Casey Research's International Speculator [junior gold and silver exploration companies], or BIG GOLD [large producers], with all our best [and current] recommendations...as well as the archives. A subscription to the International Speculator also includes a free subscription to BIG GOLD as well. And don't forget that our 90-day guarantee of satisfaction is in effect for both publications.

That's more than enough for today. I hope you enjoy what's left of your weekend...and I wish all fathers out there a happy Father's Day.

See you on Tuesday.

Please login to post a reply
gwr1
City
Rank
President
Activity Points
Rating
Your Rating
Date Joined
01/06/2008
Social Links