POET Technologies Inc.

I have started paying attention to patent citations that are referenced by some of POET patents. Occasionally I see references to and by the usual suspects like Intel and Samsung but in some of the seminal POET patents which have recently been published/granted there are some interesting references to A*STAR.

One that I found most interesting is this one:

LIGHT EMITTING DIODE STRUCTURE AND A METHOD OF FORMING A LIGHT EMITTING DIODE STRUCTURE 

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=%2220110284824%22.PGNR.&OS=DN/20110284824&RS=DN/20110284824

This A*Star patent is related to the application of Quantum Dots in Quantum Wells to improve the efficiency, colour, energy, lifetime…of LEDs. I find it intriguing that A*Star is now working with the POET platform for display using the POET VCSEL (similar concept).

POET uses Quantum Dots for improved efficiency and sizing determines wavelength (as well as InP to GaAs ratio). The POET detector results provide an indication of just how well they work.

Below are extracts from the one of the A*Star patents referenced by POET.

[0089] The above described example embodiments can increase carrier injection efficiency. The above described example embodiments can increase carrier capture efficiency. The above described example embodiments can increase electron-hole recombination volume and thus increase internal quantum efficiency. The above described example embodiments can increase power output of InGaN quantum dots-based LEDs. 

[0090] In the example embodiments, the material used include GaN and InGaN. However, it will be appreciated that the material are not limited to the above and can include any different metal-nitride based material. 

Below is an A*Star patent that was issued just 3 days ago.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=1&p=1&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=Liu-Wei.INNM.&OS=in/Liu-Wei&RS=IN/Liu-Wei

And on that note have a very Happy New Year to you and yours. And yes Rainer…God Bless.

Please login to post a reply
fairchijisback
City
Rank
President
Activity Points
Rating
Your Rating
Date Joined
10/17/2014
Social Links
Private Message