POET Technologies Inc.

in response to disco68's message

As said by Suresh at the THM.....

00:37:44 – If you think about optics or optical networking and photonics, back in the early 2000’s the Internet was just starting out. This was 1998 or 1999, it was this dotcom bubble, everyone called it the dotcom bubble. A bunch of Internet companies started going in there and there was this huge growth in optics at that time and was mostly for global networks, undersea communications, mostly indium phosphide lasers actually at that time and very, very complex optical circuits. So that drove the first wave, if you will, of optical growth. Then there was the big bust and now we’re in the second wave.

00:38:26 – The second wave is now not driven by backhaul or underwater communications where the volumes were low and the costs were high. This second wave is driven by consumers, you and me. Every time you run an app on a phone, you download pictures on Facebook or Whatsapp or what have you, you’re driving more data. This is a consumer-driven growth cycle. And it’s showing up in data centers and the need for more data centers and showing up in photonic sensors and showing up in new ways of using sensors, in a miniaturized way that people never thought possible. We’re talking about sensors in phones, VCSELs in phones, for TV gesture and cameras. So, I think, this wave of photonics growth is really exciting, because it’s driven by the consumer and so it’s bigger and is likely to last longer..

00:39:16 – So we believe we are at the right inflection point in sense of displayable growth, and hence our strategy to really have POET positioned as a photonics company with integrated elements in it that adds to differentiation and value creation, as opposed to an electronics company or something else. I think it’s strategically positioned to kind of leverage this, and our acquisitions are strategically positioned to be able to leverage this.

Please login to post a reply
disco68
City
Rank
Vice President
Activity Points
Rating
Your Rating
Date Joined
03/21/2014
Social Links
Private Message