POET Technologies Inc.

in response to lebowski101's message

I am almost afraid to speak my mind anymore but from what I understand POET got a really great deal from A*Star and I have always considered that it was part of a bigger picture with a partner holding the door for them. As Lebowski posted GF is working with A*Star on MEMS which is a GaN application… Gallium nitride (GaN) is also an option for MMICs. Because GaN transistors can operate at much higher temperatures and work at much higher voltages than GaAs transistors, they make ideal power amplifiers at microwave frequencies.

There is an addition in the MD&A that was not there the last time.

The POET Semiconductor Technology Process IP

Prior to the recent acquisitions and since, POET has been focused on a new process for making devices using gallium arsenide as the substrate for wafers instead of silicon. Gallium arsenide has a number of advantages over silicon, including faster speeds and lower energy consumption. But for POET, the real driver is the fact that gallium arsenide is the preeminent substrate for integrating electronics and optics onto a chip, predominantly for short reach applications. Optical connections are much faster and more efficient than copper for transferring data within and to/from a chip. The disruptive potential of the POET technology was first recognized within the military community, and this recognition has remained strong. Applications in this market include infra-red sensor arrays and high frequency RF Monolithic Microwave Integrated Circuits ("MMIC's"). The Company today is conducting research and development related to expansion of the POET platform by adding processes to the POET IP portfolio. It is also engaged in developmental work related to existing POET processes for data communications applications in potential consumer, data center, high performance computing, and industrial markets. The Company continues to develop gallium arsenide-based processes having several potential applications, including: (i) infrared sensor arrays for defense as well as domestic monitoring and imaging applications, (ii) the unique combination of analog, mixed-signal, digital and optical functions on a single chip for use in high volume short reach and very short reach data communication transceivers and (iii) exploring the use of POET’s unique VCSEL technology as smart pixels for augmented reality display applications. The Company believes that the POET process has the potential to fundamentally alter the landscape of optical data communications for a broad range of applications by offering unique integrated optical and electronic components with dramatically lower solutions cost, as well as increased density, reliability and lower power consumption

Here is what the previous MD&A had under this heading.

Semiconductor Technology Process IP

The Company is conducting research and development related to expansion of the POET platform by adding processes to the POET IP portfolio. It is also engaged in developmental work related to existing POET processes for data communications applications in potential consumer, data center, high performance computing, industrial, military and mobility segments. The Company continues to develop gallium arsenide-based processes having several potential market applications, including: (i) infrared sensor arrays for defense as well as domestic monitoring and imaging applications, (ii) the unique combination of analog, mixed-signal, digital and optical functions on the same chip for potential use in high volume short reach and very short reach data communication transceivers and (iii) exploring the use of POET’s unique VCSEL technology as smart pixels for application in display applications for Augmented Reality. The Company believes that the POET process has the potential to fundamentally alter the landscape of optical data communications for a broad range of applications by offering unique integrated optical and electronic components with dramatically lower solutions cost together with increased density, reliability and lower power consumption through integration.

Please login to post a reply
fairchijisback
City
Rank
President
Activity Points
Rating
Your Rating
Date Joined
10/17/2014
Social Links
Private Message