POET Technologies Inc.

NASA has just disclaimed 56 patents into the public domain, and while I haven't browsed them all, this one immediately caught my attention. I can't help thinking that this sounds like a direct competitor in silicon to POET's GaAs-based tech. Would the cognoscenti (FJ, Rainer, et al) care to weigh in?

"FIELD OF THE INVENTION
The present invention relates to photonics and optoelectronic devices and, more particularly, to packaging microphotonics and optoelectronic devices so that all of these devices will be integrated and interconnected onto a single chip or substrate."

Apparatus And Method For Packaging And Integrating Microphotonic Devices

An apparatus is disclosed that includes a carrier structure and an optical coupling arrangement. The carrier structure is made of a silicon material and allows for the packaging and integrating of microphotonic devices onto a single chip. The optical coupling mechanism enables laser light to be coupled into and out of a microphotonic resonant disk integrated on the carrier. The carrier provides first, second and third cavities that are dimensioned so as to accommodate the insertion and snug fitting of the microphotonic resonant disk and first and second prisms that are implemented by the optical coupling arrangement to accommodate the laser coupling.

http://technology.nasa.gov/public_domain/LEW-17694-1

Please login to post a reply
Bizarrox
City
Rank
Mail Room
Activity Points
Rating
Your Rating
Date Joined
04/03/2015
Social Links