POET Technologies Inc.

in response to champagnepwder's message

The rest of the response to FJ from Joel Hruska

DoD proved the tech via BAE. It's in active NASA mission gear *right now*."

I didn't say the technology was entirely BS. I said the *claims* were BS. As in, the claims that this represents the "solution" to the industry's problems.

I'm not disputing anyone's expertise or abilities. I'm really not. This is the gap between what marketing promises and science can deliver.

There are. no. free. rides. The average long-term trend between new technology announcements and deployment in shipping silicon is 15-20 years. It's been 15-20 years for the entire length of the 1960s to the present day.

I know for a fact that you can build semiconductors with InGaAs. I know you can build semiconductors with III-V. But building *logic* circuits out of optoelectronics is an entirely different question.

What I *dispute* is the idea that this technology will emerge as a deus ex machina, a magic turnkey solution that just happens to solve everyone's problems, integrates into existing silicon, and provides a seamless transition to an alternate driver of semiconductor performance.

I dispute this because there is zero evidence to suggest any such miracle approach exists. Anywhere. And I have read the literature on these technologies. Having patents and incredibly intelligent people is not the same as having a seamless solution to the most pressing problems of the modern semiconductor industry.

Please login to post a reply
Mayan2012
City
Rank
Treasurer
Activity Points
Rating
Your Rating
Date Joined
03/13/2014
Social Links
Private Message