KWG Resources Inc.

Exploration stage company that is participating in the discovery, delineation and development of chromite deposits in the James Bay Lowlands of Northern Ontario. These deposits are globally significant source of chromite which may be refined into ferrochrome, a principal ingredient in the manufacture of stainless steel.
in response to BarbuBeatnik's message

I could not agree more BB.

It likely makes more sense for Glencore to have interest in Chromite but we should not forget the Nickel and both companies have Nickel Copper operations in Sudbury.

I suspect that the ongoing talks between Vale and Glencore to combine the Sudbury Operations is partly due to the long term possibility of processing the Noront concentrate here in Sudbury.

I would like to think that there is a possibility of doing some value added processing here as well. Wouldn't it be great if Canada were producing SS here in Sudbury utilizing RoF chromite and nickel.

Yes it is closer to transport the concentrates to Thunder Bay but the economic advantages for Vale/Glencore of having existing operations and a workforce in Sudbury far outweigh the transportation issues. Also the mining supply community is generally located in the Sudbury District. Once the ore is on the rail car the extra cost of bringing it to Sudbury is insignificant.

But we are getting a little ahead of ourselves. The announcement of $1B funding conditional on federal funding doesn't even contemplate any details of transportation or electricity.

SN

Please login to post a reply
Sudbury Novice
City
God's Great Outdoors
Rank
President
Activity Points
Rating
Your Rating
Date Joined
12/05/2008