Active Control Technology Inc.

Welcome To The Active Control Technology HUB On AGORACOM We make wireless work.

I've been able to dig up more details about D and C Mining Corporation and the other Kentucky mine operators cited for failing to submit ERPs by the June 15, 2009 deadline (see the article that follows):

Note 1: Most of the mine operators mentioned in the article appear to be small-scale operators.
Note 2: The following article states that D and C Mining Corporation purchased its tracking system through Carroll Engineering. Matrix Design Group's METS system is distributed and supported by Delta Electric of Logan, WV, Carroll Engineering Company of Harlan, KY and Carroll West of Wellington, UT. Therefore, one may conclude that D and C Mining Corporation is a Matrix Design Group customer.

County coal mine among those cited
by JOHN MIDDLETON — Staff Writer
23 hrs ago | 444 views | 0 | 1 | |
A Harlan County mine was cited recently for failing to submit an emergency plan to officials with the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) by June 15.

D and C Mining Corporation in Cranks was cited for failing to submit the plan which requires the mine operator to provide for a wireless post-accident communications system.

Barry Rogers, the superintendent at D and C Mining Corporation, said the company is now in compliance with MSHA.

“I sent (the emergency plan) in on June 23, (MSHA officials) sent it back and we had to e-mail it to them again. We had to get proof of purchase on the tracking system. We purchased it through Carroll Engineering,” Rogers said.

An official at Carroll Engineering also confirmed that D and C Mining Corporation had recently purchased the wireless communication system.

As part of the Miner Act of 2006, all underground mines were required to submit an emergency plan by June 15, 2009. The emergency response plan requires the mine operator to provide for a wireless post-accident communications system so that above ground rescuers can either track or speak with a miner that may become trapped during a crisis.
Mine operators have had nearly three years to develop emergency communications plans and submit those plans to MSHA for approval.

If mine operators can’t adopt wireless communications, they must set forth an alternative means of compliance using other technologies that approximates, as closely as possible, the functional utility of wireless communications.

Other southeastern Kentucky mines receiving the same citation include: PPG Energy, Bell County; Butcher Branch, Bell County; Murriel Don Coal Company Inc., Floyd County; Double C Enterprises Inc., Magoffin County; C and D Mining Inc. Floyd County; TRC Mining Company, Letcher County; Cane Branch Coal LLC, Pike County and Clark Mining Inc., Letcher County.

D and C Mining Corporation was the site of a fatal mining accident in June, when Wilson Rome Meade, 58, of Smith, was killed after being pinned between a trailer of cinder blocks and an outby bridge conveyor.

Source: http://www.harlandaily.com/pages/full_story/push?article-County+coal+mine+among+those+cited%20&id=2944234&instance=home_news_lead

Please login to post a reply
msgr77
City
Rank
President
Activity Points
Rating
Your Rating
Date Joined
01/22/2008
Social Links
Private Message