Active Control Technology Inc.

Welcome To The Active Control Technology HUB On AGORACOM We make wireless work.
Greene native tapped to run MSHA
By: Steve Ferris, Herald-Standard
07/08/2009
Updated 07/08/2009 12:36:41 AM EDT
Main
President Barack Obama has nominated Joseph A. Main, a Waynesburg native and a former mine safety expert for the United Mine Workers of America, to run the Mine Safety and Health Administration.

Main, who now lives in Spotsylvania, Va., was nominated as the Department of Labor's assistant secretary for Mine Safety and Health on Monday.

The White House said Main is internationally recognized as an expert in mining health issues.

Main began working in coal mines in 1967 and quickly became an advocate for miners' safety as a union safety committeeman as well as serving in various local union positions in the UMWA, according to the White House.

He worked for the UMWA in 1974 as a special assistant to the international president, and joined the UMWA safety division in 1976, serving as safety inspector, administrative assistant, and deputy director.

In 1982, he was appointed administrator of the UMWA occupational health and safety department, a position he held for 22 years, managing the international health and safety program and staff. He has considerable hands-on experience inspecting and evaluating mining conditions, plans and systems.

Main currently works as a self-employed mine safety consultant. His recent work has focused on international mine safety, research and analysis projects on preventing mining accidents and development of training programs and facilities to prepare miners and emergency responders for mine emergencies. He is a graduate of the National Mine Health and Safety Academy.

If the Senate confirms Main as the assistant secretary, he would replace Richard E. Stickler who held the position in former President George W. Bush's administration.

Michael A. Davis, deputy assistant secretary for operations, is currently serving at the top MSHA official.

UMWA International President Cecil E. Roberts said the union is happy with Main's nomination.

"The UMWA is extremely pleased that President Obama has nominated Joseph A. Main to be assistant secretary of labor for Mine Safety and Health. Joe is perhaps the most knowledgeable person about mine safety and health in the nation, and his experience was gained where it counts the most - fighting every day for over 30 years on behalf of miners' health and safety, including 22 years as the administrator of occupational health and safety for the UMWA.

"Joe has his work cut out for him. MSHA has not lived up to its mandate from Congress to vigorously enforce mine health and safety laws and regulations the last eight years. The previous administration put mine production and company profitability ahead of miner safety. Fortunately, President Obama has sent a clear and consistent message that health and safety comes first in his administration.

"We look forward to working with Joe and Secretary of Labor Hilda Solis to reverse the years of decline in both labor law and health and safety enforcement that occurred at the Department of Labor and MSHA under the previous administration. The corresponding denial of workplace rights and on-the-job dangers American workers were subjected to as a result are a stain on our nation's legacy that must be cleansed."

MSHA is headquartered in Arlington, Va., and is under the direction of the assistant secretary of labor for Mine Safety and Health.

The assistant secretary plans, directs and administers MSHA's activities to eliminate fatal mining accidents, reduce the frequency and severity of accidents, and minimize health hazards through enforcement of mandatory safety and health standards in the mining industry. MSHA also promotes improved safety and health conditions in the nation's mines through training, education, and technical assistance programs. Technical assistance programs include the testing and approval of equipment for use in the mining industry.

The office of the assistant secretary includes two deputy assistant secretaries, the congressional and legislative affairs office, the program education and outreach services office and the employee safety and health office.

The two deputy assistant secretaries manage the various functions and responsibilities of the agency. These senior leadership positions are responsible for the administrative and regulatory functions of the agency; including the promulgation of and enforcement of safety and health standards; training and education to improve compliance with MSHA standards; technical support, including the evaluation of newly developed safety equipment; and ensuring that MSHA performs its primary functions at the highest level possible.

The assistant secretary determines the areas of responsibility for each deputy assistant secretary.

Main declined comment on his nomination.

Source: http://www.heraldstandard.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=20342062&BRD=2280&PAG=461&dept_id=480247&rfi=6

Please login to post a reply
msgr77
City
Rank
President
Activity Points
Rating
Your Rating
Date Joined
01/22/2008
Social Links
Private Message