The 300 Club

Welcome To The 300 Club HUB On AGORACOM We may not make much money, but we sure have a lot of fun!

Ex-CNPC boss Jiang 'admits crimes'

Trial begins: For Jiang Jiemin in China

AP/SCANPIX

Share story

By Reuters

13 April 2015 08:47 GMT

Jiang Jiemin, the former president of China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC), has admitted to corruption and asked for leniency in sentencing from a Chinese court, according to a report.

The former energy tycoon appeared in court on Monday as his trial into alleged corruption began.

The ex-oil executive was charged last month with taking advantage of his position to seek benefits for others, and of extorting and receiving large amounts of bribes.

Jiang is being tried at Hanjiang Intermediate People’s Court in Hubei province, Reuters reported.

The news wire later on Monday reported that Jiang had confessed to his indiscretions.

"The facts of my crimes are clear, the evidence is true and conclusive," Jiang was quoted as saying in a court statement referenced by Reuters.

"I admit my crimes and am penitent," he is said to have continued.

The trial of the man who also briefly ran the state asset regulator before being sacked is expected to take a couple of days.

Chinese authorities have arrested and charged a number of senior oil industry executive and former executives, as well as other businessmen and politicians, as it looks to flush out corruption in industry and politics.

Please login to post a reply
abstacey
City
Rank
President
Activity Points
Rating
Your Rating
Date Joined
10/15/2007
Social Links
Private Message