Noront Resources

High-grade Ni-Cu-Pt-Pd-Au-Ag-Rh-Cr-V discoveries in the "Ring of Fire" NI 43-101 Update (March 2011): 11.0 Mt @ 1.78% Ni, 0.98% Cu, 0.99 gpt Pt and 3.41 gpt Pd and 0.20 gpt Au (M&I) / 9.0 Mt @ 1.10% Ni, 1.14% Cu, 1.16 gpt Pt and 3.49 gpt Pd and 0.30 gpt Au (Inf.)
in response to notster's message

Herb and Notster,

I also agree with the concept that Herb has put forward. From the point of view of resource extraction roads at least, this is actually quite normal and very common. In virtually all cases of resource road mainline construction, there are construction cost sharing and/or long term maintenance cost sharing agreements in place.

As a former Chief Forester of a forest products company, I was directly involved in the negotiations of such agreements on a regular basis. In the case of a road to the ring of fire, we do know that the province of Ontario, the federal government (Indian and Northern affairs), several First Nations, and the mining industry (more than one company) are currently involved in the discussions to build and maintain the road. All of these parties need the road for a number of very good reasons. I believe that you will see a construction cost sharing agreement that will involve the two levels of government and the companys. Also, they will likely strike a long term maintenance agreement (typically a user pay system based on the amount of volume of traffic/product) so that no one group gets stuck with the bill.

As for other infrastructure, I can't predict how the governments will get involved in that as it is beyond my expertise. However, I would speculate that, with the loss of so much manufacturing in Ontario the mining industry may fill a very big hole for the provincial economy (and corresponding jobs). I would certainly hope that this would sufficiently incite both the provincial and federal governments to consider what Herb is suggesting for all infrastructure in the area. You can be fairly certain that the mining companies have already suggested it.

RHammer

Please login to post a reply
RHammer
City
Diamond City, Alberta
Rank
President
Activity Points
Rating
Your Rating
Date Joined
11/08/2007