Noront Resources

High-grade Ni-Cu-Pt-Pd-Au-Ag-Rh-Cr-V discoveries in the "Ring of Fire" NI 43-101 Update (March 2011): 11.0 Mt @ 1.78% Ni, 0.98% Cu, 0.99 gpt Pt and 3.41 gpt Pd and 0.20 gpt Au (M&I) / 9.0 Mt @ 1.10% Ni, 1.14% Cu, 1.16 gpt Pt and 3.49 gpt Pd and 0.30 gpt Au (Inf.)

What are Flow Through Shares?

• These shares are issued by oil and mineral exploration companies who pass the tax breaks for exploration onto investors.

What are the tax advantages?

• If you were to invest $10,000 in flow through shares, providing that they are eligible for the tax breaks, you can claim the full $10,000 on your tax return. If you are in the 40% tax bracket, that would equate to a $4,000 tax return for that year.

How does it work?

• As stated above, you get to claim the FULL amount invested against your income. However, when you sell, your adjusted cost base (ACB) is set to $0, ie. whatever you sell for is your PROFIT.
  • If you were to invest $10,000, and sell 2 years later for $10,000, your profit would be considered $10,000. So to calculate your capital gains, with a 40% tax rate, would be $5000 x 40% = $2000 tax payable. Even in the scenario where the shares don’t change in price, you will receive a $2000 gain ($4000 tax return - $2000 tax payable).

Who should buy them?

• This tax break works best for those in the highest tax bracket, but generally works for anyone. I’ve read from various sources that flow through shares should not exceed 10%-15% of your portfolio.

How do I buy them?

• You can purchase them directly from companies offering them or through mutual fund firms like Front Street Capital and Middlefield Resource Funds (source: Canadian Business Magazine).

What are the risks/disadvantages?

• If you are experienced with the Canadian mining/oil sector, you will know that this market can be fairly volatile. Also, when you purchase flow through shares, you typically have to hold onto them for 18-24 months before you can sell them.
  • Flow through shares usually sell at a premium.
  • You can lose up to a certain percentage of your investment, and STILL come out even due to the tax breaks. Below is a table from QIS Capital outlining the loss limits by tax bracket:

50% tax bracket - 66% of original investment
40% tax bracket - 75% of original investment
30% tax bracket - 81% of original investment
20% tax bracket - 89% of original investment

Summary

• This is a very superficial description of flow through shares. If this topic interests you, you should continue with your own due diligence.
  • Personally, I have never purchased flow through shares before, but it’s definitely something I’m going to look into as my tax burden increases

Please login to post a reply
LTGoldBull2
City
Belleville
Rank
President
Activity Points
Rating
Your Rating
Date Joined
09/16/2007
Social Links