Noront Resources

High-grade Ni-Cu-Pt-Pd-Au-Ag-Rh-Cr-V discoveries in the "Ring of Fire" NI 43-101 Update (March 2011): 11.0 Mt @ 1.78% Ni, 0.98% Cu, 0.99 gpt Pt and 3.41 gpt Pd and 0.20 gpt Au (M&I) / 9.0 Mt @ 1.10% Ni, 1.14% Cu, 1.16 gpt Pt and 3.49 gpt Pd and 0.30 gpt Au (Inf.)
in response to storm5151's message

Yes, I think it can.

The reason in my oppinion is that chrome never could make it on its own, therefore no real positive on the SP. You need nickel and lots of it. To start a new nickel mining camp you need 50 to 100 million tonnes of ore; with this additional nickel hit at least it is in the right direction, and it shows promise of more. It is also good it happend in the same area, you want a high concentration and not spread out over many small hits. That will reduce mining costs. The good thing about Eagle one is its high grade that can be mined initially to maximize cash flow.

To get into the chrome business you have to compete against present producers and you have to be able to sell your product profitable at or below your competitors operating costs, which I guess is in the range of 150 to 300 $/tonne of Cr2O3. This is extremely hard to do when considering infrastructure costs and the long shipment to Quebec City or elsewhere. Rail costs are in the region of 2 to 4 cents per km per tonne, so a round trip to nearest port becomes a significant cost. Truck is even more

If a succesful nickel operation can be established with all required infrastructure, then it may be possible to start the chrome business, most likely with a chrome smelter along the north shore of Lake Superior.

Please login to post a reply
tau
City
Rank
Treasurer
Activity Points
Rating
Your Rating
Date Joined
12/20/2007
Social Links
Private Message